HASTINGS RECOURSE TO REOPEN FOR TRAINING ON MAY 1ST
The British Columbia Horse Racing Industry Management Committee met yesterday with the newly formed Task Force via Teleconference.
It was announced by GCGC that Hastings Racecourse would reopen for training on May 1st for training. Many of the terms and conditions will be worked out by the two racing associations BCTOBA and HBPA and track management before that date and will be announced prior to May 1st.
Obviously a lot could change over the next few weeks as this Covid19 virus change from day to day. Actually British Columbia seems to be headed in the right direction in my opinion but of course I’m neither a Doctor or a Health Expert.
To Consignors and those people who bought horses in the CTHS Horses of Racing Age Sale. Please be notified that those horses qualify for the 2020 Racing Season Postponement Program. The racing association have decided that both the consignor and the purchaser are eligible for $500.00 each. Please contact Cristan Gossen and get a copy of the application form at email@example.com , Fill out the form and return it to Cristan.
BRITISH COLUMBIA HORSE RACING INDUSTY MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
The BCHRIMC have been meeting frequently over the past few weeks to discuss the Covid – 19 virus and its serious effect on racing in 2020.
We have the assurance from GCGC that the moment its declared safe the track will re-open to training.
On our teleconference call yesterday it was decided to add a new Task Force Committee to the committee until this deadly virus is behind us. The Task Force will be made up of persons from both the Standard Bred Association, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations and GCGC (Hastings Racecourse). More on the forming of that committee shortly.
RACING ASSOCIATIONS ANNOUNCE TWO INCENTIVE PROGRAMS WITH FUNDING AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
The HBPA and BCTOBA are offering two programs to get money immediately in the hands of owners to help with some of the costs of spring training. The associations realize the shutdown of training at Hastings Racecourse has been very costly to many owners during this worldwide health crisis.
To aid the owners they are offering advance funding on the Wintering Program and horses that are eligible will receive $1750.00 in advance of the $3500.00 available.
Also to aid all of owners who are BC Residents a one time payment of $1000.00 is available to all horses that were in training and have to have shutdown for now. Horses receiving the Wintering Program are not eligible for both programs.
See the forms below in today’s newsletter. Cut and Paste them, fill them out and forward to Cristan Gossen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cristan will get you the money as soon as possible. More later on the how we are going to get you the funding via mail or direct deposit or ?
The CTHS also has come out with a new program to assist all breeders for 2020 with a Special Broodmare Breeding Program. It is also further down in today’s newsletter. Contact B J Davidson at email@example.com for further details.
The Stronach family whom own Santa Anita, Golden Gate Fields, Gulfstream Park and Laurel Race Track continue to operate all of their tracks except Laurel Race Racetrack in which was shut down by the Governor of Maryland.
They have taken a lot of flack over years but in this crisis they have continued to run without patrons. Not only are they supporting the 1000’s of people that care for the horses at all of their tracks, they are donating all proceeds from wagering to several different charities. Good on them.
TRACKS THAT REMAIN OPEN FOR WAGERING VIA HPI
Charles Town Resumes racing Friday, Fonner Park Resumes racing Monday, Golden Gate Fields Racing Friday-Sunday, Gulfstream Park Racing resumes Saturday, Mahoning Valley Racing Saturday and Monday Oaklawn Park Racing Friday-Sunday, Sam Houston Race Park Racing Friday-Saturday Santa Anita Park Racing Friday-Sunday, Tampa Bay Downs Racing Friday-Sunday Turfway Park Racing Saturday and Sunday Will Rogers Downs Resumes racing Monday.
TRACKS THAT REMAIN OPEN FOR TRAINING ONLY
WOODBINE. CENTURY MILE, ASSINIBOIA DOWNS, EMERALD DOWNS, AQUEDUCT, LAUREL PARK, PARX RACING, PENN NATIONAL, RILLITO DOWNS, SUNLAND PARK AND TURF PARADISE.
I have received calls from owners and trainers on whether or not local trainers can ship their horses across the border to US Tracks. I had my people check with Canada Revenue Services and yes all commerce is still open to cross border traffic. Getting yourself across the border is another question. I don’t know if trainers etc are regarded as essential people. We are checking with Immigration and will let you know once we receive an answer. I read that Kevin Attard the leading trainer at Woodbine was able to ship his horses to Woodbine but not able to get himself back across the border. Hmmm that seems odd as he is a Canadian returning home?
Rumors floating yesterday that Emerald Downs are going to open on June 6th. I’m checking that out tomorrow with the powers that be at Emerald Downs. They are currently keeping the backstretch open for training 5 days per week.
First off I would like to thank Chuck Keeling and Darren MacDonald who went to bat for us horsemen allowing the backstretch to remain open until April 1st.
The importance of us to be able to look after our horses in a proper manner as many of the horses on short notice had no home to go to.
Big shout out to the many trainers, grooms, hot-walker, vets, blacksmiths, track crew for their dedication to our animals in these unknown times.
BACKSTRETCH RULES MUST BE ENFORCED
ONLY ESSENTIAL WORKERS ARE ALLOWED ON THE BACKSTRETCH UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
1: Owners, fans and friends are not permitted on the grounds until further notice.
2: Those essential workers must try to keep a distance from other essential workers.
3: Only trainers, grooms, hotwalkers, gallop personal, vets, blacksmiths are allowed on the grounds.
4: Anyone with any symptoms of the virus must leave the grounds immediately.
5: Proper cleaning everyday of tack, bandages etc must be done everyday with no exceptions.
RACING ASSOCIATIONS DOING THEIR PART
The HBPA and BCTOBA are providing masks for all employees of the backstretch. If you need some, please see Mike Heads as he has obtained hundreds on behalf of the associations to hand out.
As of late Friday, the associations were purchasing a forehead reading temperature machine to check all people arriving daily thru the east gate. Any one with a temperature will not be allowed on the grounds.
We have been told that the tracks in Kamloops and Osoyoos are open and have stalls and their tracks are reported to be excellent for training.
Hasting’s General Manager, Darren MacDonald passes along the news that the new rail is nearly completed and should be finished by today or tomorrow weather permitting. The snow has slowed down finishing a slight bit.
HASTINGS MOVE IN DATES
Horsemen will be able to start setting up on Friday, February 7th., Security will start on the east gate starting at 4:00pm Saturday, February 8th. Horsemen may start moving in horses on Saturday but anyone who does earlier then 4:00pm are asked to leave someone with their horses until 4:00pm when 24 hour security starts.
The track will open for training on Tuesday, February 11th. Training hours TBA.
CTHS BC Division wishes to remind you of the following upcoming deadlines: